Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Experiments part 2


Okay, so continuing directly from the last Blog.


Once I had finished the coloring of Indiana Jones and saw that I hadn't completely lost my feel for using watercolors, I took a small break and had a quick bite to eat, let the colors dry and try and see how the final image would look.


Once I finished eating and saw the final image, I continued drawing and took a longshot and drew a female character. Drawing women can be very tricky, too much detail and you age the woman, not enough can also have a negative effect. To a lot of people Adam Hughes is one of the best at drawing the female form so I grabbed a few covers that he did and tried to get a feel for what he was doing. After about 30 minutes of brushing up on cheesecake pinups I grabbed a Playboy too. I figured it couldn't hurt. I wanted to draw Black Cat from the Spiderman comics and wanted to make her as sexy as possible, maybe derobe her a bit. Make her sexy but not too over the top and make her crass. What I ended up with was more or less some cheesecake pinup work with a slight edge but the background seemed a bit bare...


Taking a few minute to let the ink dry, I walked away to drink some water and wash my face. Checked my e-mails for a few minutes and then came back and took another look at what I had done. I think I did a decent job but something was still missing. I put the image aside and went to work on another, working on the template for a Baroness image, which I'll show the completed image another time.


Now it's a few weeks later and I'm glad I stopped working on the Black Cat image because now I can go back and add in some color with a few adjustments to the background and overall image and yes I'm doing it on the original and not in Photoshop. Once I've completed the final image with the colors and reworked background I'll be showing it. Following my hunches I don't think this will be a failed experiment but the final image will be something completely new for me. Trying new things is good for your growth as an artist.


Rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment