Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year

Happy New Year.

I can't believe another whole year has gone by again. I really didn't even see it go by. That's the scariest part. I know a lot of people make these kinds of comments but the truth is that because for most of 2011 I was only sleeping about 5 -5 1/2 hours every night. In small doses you can get a lot done but I have an extremely hard head and LOVE to push myself past the breaking point mentally and physically, so, that's what I did all year long. I did achieve a lot artistically speaking but somehow Istill feel like I could have done more. I think it's more of a question of how to work faster,harder and smarter while still retain some semblance of a normal life. This has always been my goal from the beginning.

All of the resolutions I set for myself I managed to achieve, which wasn't easy but I also learned to be a wee bit more flexible and adapting to unforseen circumstances. I also made a few more contacts, met some very cool artists,directors and just some plain good ole individuals who support my work.

This year my resolutions are bigger in scale but still very doable. Especially now with some of the new tools I got this year to help me create more. I guess while I'm still very much old school when I create I've begun to embrace the digital frontier, ever so slowly moving from analog to digital. I will always create with my hands and tools based in the "real' world as opposed to the digital realm but that doesn't mean I can't broaden my bag of tricks.

Change or die.

Adapt constantly.

Push your limits.


Being an independant artist in the comic's world is akin to being from a Leper Colony. Most of the established Pros see you as a threat so they try to brow beat you,box you in to a corner and in some cases try to blacklist you. I know while I've met some very cool established pros in the Industry, the majority of the Community is far from being as accepting. That's okay. I would be surprised otherwise. I guess some people think that I'll back down and run with my tail between my legs but as I've already proven I don't back down from a fight.

Optimum Wound is still here and so am I.

My partner Jason and I have proven that even though we're still a very small Company that we're still alive and kicking and while Optimum Wound only published my Sketchbook last year, there are a few things coming along for the New Year.

Now, 2012 will have the release of only 2 books from the Company that I can guarantee. The question being will either or both of them be listed in Diamond's catalogue.

I guess time will tell.

I'm also very interested in how Diamond will treat Opwound when our stuff is sent for solicitation.

Hopefully it will be a good experience........ This time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment